9/14/2010

You Can Turn A Negative Into A Silver Lining

My leg almost fell off when I was barking and lunging at Chompers, my nemesis…Really, it did. Almost.

I found the silver lining in my anti-social, barking at other dogs, acting out stuff. Diana isn’t so sure it’s a silver lining, but I’m sure.

 ************Silver Lining************

If I hadn’t barked so aggressively at Chompers I wouldn’t have hurt my leg and Diana would not have taken me to the vet and learned that I have a wonky knee. So I actually did the right thing. Dog logic is amazing.

In Vet Speak I have a medially luxating patella - Grade 2 (ooooh, impressive, not). I was born with it. The vet recommended surgery if I continue to have problems. We are saving money for the surgery. Our budget is really tight these days ‘cause one of my BHFs Katie is in college. I got to ride in the big truck last week and help her move into her new college house. It was an awesome trip. Katie said I can visit but I can’t live with her there because they already have a dog named Sarge. I’m ok with that. Who would take care of Diana and Michael if I’m living somewhere else? Nobody is right.

But I digress…

Surgery is expensive because they have to do a lot of work on my small bones. My kneecap area is about the size of a #2 pencil eraser. Gonna set us back $1,000 - give or take a few $100. That’s going to eat a big hole in my cheese fund.

So far my leg has wanted to stay on. I hurt it running around really goofy in the house after my bath and that’s the only other time. Diana is keeping a list of when and how I hurt it. If I keep hurting it or the frequency gets closer together then in I go for surgery immediately.

Diana sat me down and told me very seriously that I have to stop jumping when I’m excited. Jumping 3 feet in the air and landing on my bad knee is not such a good idea anymore. I wagged my tail and pawed the air to show her I got it. But I keep forgetting. I’m part Min Pin. Jumping is what we do. It’s in our blood.

If we don’t fix it, the vet said I will eventually develop arthritis in the joint. That’s not good, not good at all. That will end my jumping days forever (insert really sad dog face here).

After surgery Diana and Michael promised they would stay home with me ALL day for at least a week. Michael said he can work from home for a while to keep me company and help me out. They will have to help me up and down the stairs. I can only do really short walks to do my business and there will be “NO JUMPING” (Diana told me to add the emphasis on the last part).

I will have to have physical therapy and I can’t touch the stitches. So not looking forward to that part (…la la la ignoring - ignoring - la la la…).

The vet is very optimistic. I only have the problem in my right hind leg and I should make a full recovery if everything goes as planned.

Now all I have to do is make my own plan to get as much sympathy cheese out of Diana and Michael as I can. That’s a full on platinum lining for sure!


^ . . ^ Woof!



No comments:

I'm going to BlogPaws 2012 badge