1/02/2011

New Year - New Way

Most of 2010 saw me working with Jeff Tinsley, owner of Sound Animals, on being nicer while on leash.  We had some good moments and some not so good moments.  See my posting from August 2010 - Skool Daze - Part II


I've been practicing on my own.  Jeff gave us some very sound advice on how to work with my insecurities and ideas on how to minimize my belief that, yes, I am as big as a standard Doberman.  


Diana has gotten much more relaxed when we encounter other dogs and I have realized that I have my own stuff to do and I don't need to get all up in their business...if we have enough cheese to remind me that seeing another dog is a good thing not a bad thing.


I've gotten so much better that Diana felt confident I could handle going to the dog park on Mercer Island.


Hank Bacon goes all the time to play with his flying ball.  I wanted to go and see what it was all about.


I made no promises and none were expected.  We went with open minds and hopeful attitudes.


The park is a lovely place.  Cold, but lovely.


Along the trail from the parking we found a rare patch of ice-shrooms



Hank Bacon's Mom brought along his flying ball launcher.


I did great!  I only barked at other dogs with about half my usual intensity and I didn't try to put the bitey on anyone.  

I stood near Mom when she seemed like she wanted me to.  When she was talking with Hank Bacon's Mom (her niece Kristina) and her Sister Lara - I bravely explored on my own.




*hee hee hee* This is my "Terrier-tory"
We had a great time.  I ran around forever.  Eventually, Diana said it was time to go.  I tried to convince her to stay.  I even used my best "Please" sit down and sweet doggie face.

It worked.  We stayed longer.


I still make the other dogs nervous with my "on leash" issues - but I was so much more relaxed that Diana says we will go much more often. 


** Ring Ring**  **Ring Ring**

Hello, Hank Bacon?  Dis is Miss PishPosh.  Can you go to the doggie park with me next weekend?

"You can!  Great!  See You There!

8 comments:

Cat vs Guinea Pig said...

I want to become a feline celebrity this year. What are your New Year's resolutions? :-)

~Avalon Lion

Pish Posh Says said...

I want to do my best everyday.

Unknown said...

Yay, that is exciting to hear that you are making progress!
I would love to hear any tips you have-- Ellie always gets super excited and anxious at the sight of another dog. It's the anticipation of meeting them, I'm guessing. I would love to get her to just calm down and not go crazy every time.

Pish Posh Says said...

Hi, Stacy and Ellie: We work with Jeff Tinsley from Sound Animals and his suggestions have been to keep socializing and reward me with my favorite snack, cheese, when I see a dog so I learn that seeing a dog is part of the reward not part of being scared. I forget but I try. Mom also tells me to "Leave it" when I start thinking about barking. That helps me to remember that I have my own stuff to do and move along. Hope that helps.

Pat Wahler said...

That looks like a great place for a walk. Glad you got to stay longer! Hope you can visit us at Critter Alley. We've signed on as your newest follower!

Pat
www.critteralley.blogspot.com

Lori @ According to Gus said...

I looks like Miss Pish Post had a fun time at the park. We can relate to Diane's worries...Gus is not always the best behaved dog at the park!

Thanks for including in your previous comment the tip on cheese. We may try that the next time we're out.

Pish Posh Says said...

Dear K9friend: Wow! That's really nice that you are following me now. I'm going to check your blog out as soon as I can. Thanks!

Pish Posh Says said...

Hi, Gus & Lori: The cheese trick works "most" of the time. Sometimes I'm just so into barking and being a brat that I loose all focus...all I can say is that I try. Hope it works for you.

I'm going to BlogPaws 2012 badge